Upgrading erwin DM Workgroup (Mart) edition to v. 2020 R2
When using erwin Data Modeler (DM) with Workgroup, both erwin DM and Mart will need to be on the same version and bit-size (32- or 64 bit). The target database where Mart resides can differ in bit-size, but the connectivity part from erwin DM to Mart will need to be same bit size. This means that when upgrading to erwin DM 2020 R2, the Workgroup (Mart) will also need to be upgraded. Here are the steps to do it.
Upgrading to erwin DM Workgroup (Mart) edition on the existing database
- 1. Shutdown the mart server or mart server service .
- 2. If running the mart server as a service, run the shortcut Remove MartServer Service.
- 3. Download the latest edition of the mart server software from erwin DM Downloads & Guides (at the time of this writing, Release: 2020 R2 (9.95 Build: 14677)).
- 4. Run the installer executable (e.g. erwin+Mart+Server+2020+R2+(64-bit).exe) as Administrator .
- 5. The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 redistributable package installs
- 6. Press Next and Agree and accept the terms of the licensing agreement. Press Next.
- 7. Type in your user name and organization. Press Next.
- 8. Leave this screen as it is unless you want to use a different Web Server or use your own Tomcat, please see https://support.erwin.com/hc/en-us/articles/234443408-How-can-I-set-up-my-mart-server-to-use-an-existing-tomcat-cluster-or-any-web-server-of-my-choice- Press Next.
- 9. Click Install.
- 10. The InstallShield wizard processes the install.
- 11. Press OK to reboot the system
- 12. Press Finish to complete the installation.
- 13. Press Yes and restart the system
The system restarts.
- 14. Run the shortcut Configure MartServer as administrator and fill in the details. Fill out the LDAP details if you are using LDAP.
- 15. You will get a window like figure 12 below
- 16. The reporting data upgrade takes place.
For more information on performance on Report Data conversion, please click on the URL below.
- 17. Once completed the upgrade will display this completion message.
The Mart Server Upgrade log does not need to be consulted unless you had an error during the upgrade. The log file is stored in: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ERwin\Mart Server\logs
Your mart server is now upgraded to the latest version.
Upgrading to erwin DM Workgroup (Mart) edition on a later/different version of the same/existing database
First, make sure this new database version is supported. See the mart server release notes.
Second, upgrade your DBMS to the later or different version.
Third, upgrade your mart server as in the instructions above.
Upgrading to erwin DM Workgroup (Mart) edition on a different supported database
First, make sure this new database version is supported. Please see the MartServer release notes.
Second, check out all your models from the Mart Server and save them offline. We have java scripts that can also do that for you automatically, please see Java scripts that automatically save a mart's models offline to a drive
Third, create a new Mart Server on the second different supported database using the latest version of the software. You may download that software from this web page erwin DM Downloads & Guides
Fourth, if desired, recreate the library structure in the new Mart using either erwin DM or the Mart Administrator.
Fifth, check all the models into the new mart server using erwin DM.
The steps above are for installing Mart on a SQL Server database. For other supported databases, e.g. Oracle, PostgreSQL, the steps are simple, but a few commands are a bit different which can be seen in the Administrative Guide at the following URL:
NOTE: If using Oracle DBMS please make sure your database privileges are in place. If your database user has the DBA role these privileges are discussed in the mart server release notes, especially see step 8, “Grant the Oracle privileges to the installer role”. If the database user does not have the DBA Role, please see this article for the permissions required, How to NOT use the DBA Role when installing or upgrading an Oracle mart. Also, how to use ONE role instead of two roles.