Error 1905. Module C:\Program Files (x86)\erwin\Data Modeler r9\EAL.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147220472.
During install of erwin Data Modeler 2018 R1 or 2019 R1, the following error message appears. If you click on OK, the installation will complete and will ask you to restart as expected with a successful installation.
The install was successful, however we just have to take a manual step of un-registering and re-registering the EAL.dll file, then we can restart the machine.
It is most likely because an older EAL.DLL is already registered which first needs to be unregistered and then registered. Here is how to do it.
1. OPEN COMMAND PROMPT (CMD): Run this as administrator to open with the elevated permissions
- From START menu select RUN option.
- Type “cmd” (without the quotation marks) . This calls up the Windows Command Prompt.
- Click OK.
2. NAVIGATE TO THE EXACT LOCATION OF DLL. Locate the full path and unregister it using the command below:
- Type “regsvr32 /u filename.dll” where “filename” is the name of the DLL that you are trying to un-register. In this case “regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\erwin\Data Modeler\r9\EAL.dll”
(This is assuming that erwin DM is installed at the default location - it may be different.)
3. To register, the DLL, type the following in the command window:
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\erwin\Data Modeler\r9\EAL.dll”
(Once again, this is assuming that erwin DM is installed at the default location - it may be different.)
4. Restart machine and install is now complete.