The mart reporting in r9.6 is done through the Report Designer reports. Some of the advantages over the prior releases are:
1. They are faster (performance). It may take some time to generate the cached report data the first time, however, that will not be a problem because:
a) You can schedule it to run the cache overnight.
b) After the mart server completes the cached report data one time, it only regenerates the cached report data for the updated models for the differences; typically that will not require a long time to finish.
NOTE: to date, we have seen the caching of the models occur in a very quick time, almost as fast as saving the model itself into the mart. So we do not believe this will be a hinderance. The mart model open dialog shows whether or not the model has been cached or not, and thus whether it can be reported upon.
2. They are much easier to create and manage (point and click in r9.6 Report Designer vs. XML based in prior releases - the XML structure was not documented making it difficult to create custom mart reports using Crystal or ODBC).
3. They allow the user to report on the physical data. In the past, the mart reports only reported upon logical data.
4. We include more than 100 additional reports the user can add to the Report Designer from the directory
C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\ERwin Data Modeler r9\BackupFiles\Report Solutions\
and its subdirectories.
NOTE: Please watch the ERworld 2015 video CA ERwin® Data Modeler r9.6 Report Designer by Frédéric Barbier that does a splendid job explaining the reporting in r9.6 ERwin DM. Having just these improvements - let alone the other improvements in r9.6 - is cause enough to upgrade to r9.6 from prior releases.
@47:00 discussion on the new mart reports begins
@50:00 discussion on the optimization settings for large data in a report begins
@40:00 discussion on how to create a picture report in either HTML or PDF that is similar to the old r7 RTB reports begins
- ERworld 2015 video CA ERwin® Data Modeler r9.6 Report Designer by Frédéric Barbier