How do you delete multiple entities or tables from an ERwin model instead of deleting them one by one?
In ERwin r7.x you create a new Subject Area and place the tables that you want to delete into it. That way you can use the 'Spanning Neighborhood' function to group related tables together or simply go down the list of tables using 'Shift' and arrow keys to make multiple selections on the tables.
The steps to do that are as follows:
- Go to the 'Model' menu and select 'Subject Areas...' to open the 'Subject Area' editor
- Click on the 'New' button and name your new subject area and click 'OK'.
- Select the 'Members' tab.
- In the 'Available Objects' you can go through select the tables you want in the Subject.
- Once you have the tables in the Subject Area click 'OK' to exit the editor. You should automatically be in the Subject Area that you just created.
Once you have created the subject area with the tables you want to delete, you can then do a 'CTRL' + 'A' to select all the objects in the subject areas diagram and then press 'Delete' and click 'Yes' to the dialog box for 'Do you want to delete the selected objects from the model?'.
In ERwin r8 the steps are similar but once you have created the Subject Area you then need to create a 'Diagram' for it and add all the objects to it. You can then use the 'CTRL' + 'A' to select all the objects in the diagram as before and press 'Delete'. You will get the message 'The selected objects will be deleted from the diagram. Do you also want them deleted from the model?' to which you would select 'Yes'.