When I’m attempting to Reverse Engineer an Oracle Database, I receive an error 'ORA-01041: internal error ‘Hostdef extension doesn't exist.' What can I do to overcome the error?
Oracle's 'ORA-01041: internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist.' error.
'ORA-01041: internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist.', is an Oracle Error and it is saying that the connection string you are entering, can't be found in the TNSNames.ora File that Oracle is looking in. From our experience, please try the following:
1. Make sure you have the Oracle 32-bit Client installed, not just the 64-bit Oracle Client (especially if you are on Windows 7).
2. Make sure you have the full Oracle Client, not Oracle Express or Oracle Lite, etc. They do not have required 3rd Party Files.
3. Make sure you can connect from SQL Plus outside of erwin, using the same connect information you did in ERwin. Note: If you can't connect in SQL Plus, you can't connect in erwin. If yes, make sure you are using the same Connection String as you do in SQL Plus.
4. Do you have multiple Oracle Homes? When you install a new version of Oracle, it does not overwrite or remove the older version. erwin uses 3rd Party connectivity, where SQL Plus does not, so connection is different from erwin. Check the Path Statement that the first instance of Oracle is the one that has the TNSNames.ORA file, with the correct connect information for your database. Path Statement is in Control Panel and in the System Environment Variable that says Path.
5. Next, try copy and paste the Service Name = value in the Connection Box in erwin.
6. Search the hard drive and rename all TNSNames.ora files, until you only have the correct one available. If the connection works, then change the TNSNames.ora file names back, one at a time until you get the error again. Then you will know which one is causing the problem. You could try adding the connect info to that TNSNames.ora file, but be careful it is not an older version of the client, since could cause problems connecting or Reverse Engineering to a newer version of Oracle.
7. Try installing erwin to C:\erwin instead of the default folder: C:\Program Files (x86) /CA/ERwin Data Modeler r9 or C:\Program Files/CA/ERwin Data . (Or like” C:\ erwin Data Modeler r9).
- 'What are the basic steps to diagnose when I am trying to connect to Oracle and I get the error: ORA-01041: internal error, hostdef extension doesn't exist'?' https://erwinhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000247867-ERwin-DM-what-are-the-basic-steps-to-diagnose-when-I-am-trying-to-connect-to-Oracle-and-I-get-the-error-ORA-01041-internal-error-hostdef-extension-doesn-t-exist-
- 'Receiving Error 'ORA-01041: internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist.' on re-establishing a connection to Oracle.' https://erwinhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000243368-Receiving-Error-ORA-01041-internal-error-hostdef-extension-doesn-t-exist-on-re-establishing-a-connection-to-Oracle-
- Please contact CA Technical Support at http://erwin.com/support