r9 CA ERwin DM Workgroup Edition: the MartUpgrade utility is only designed for 32 bit OS. On a 64 bit OS, user runs the MartUpgrade utility, and attempts to test their source mart connection to a r8 mart. They get Test Connection Failed.
If trying to run the MartUpgrade utility on a 64 bit OS, you may attempt to test your source mart connection to a r8 mart and get 'Test Connection Failed'.
This article is the workaround to run MartUpgrade on a 64 bit OS.
The underlying root cause is the MartUpgrade utility is a 32 bit application. That is not a problem but rather a compatibility issue. The MartUpgrade utility was not designed for 64 bit OS at this time.
Current solutions include,
• Running the MartUpgrade utility from a 32 bit OS
• OR applying the workaround mentioned here: http://www.gfi.com/blog/32bit-object-64bit-environment/
In the upgrade case, the COM object GUID’s are
So we need to follow the same steps for all the above 4 GUID’s.
Please follow the below steps to configure the MartUpgrade utility for a 64 bit OS automatically:
- Download and Rename the attached file 64 Bit Upgrade.txt to .reg file (64 Bit Upgrade.reg)
- Right click the “64 Bit Upgrade.reg” file and do a Merge.
- Then re-register the r8 and r9 EAL component. Go to Run and type,
regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\ERwin Data Modeler r9\EAL.dll"
regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\ERwin Data Modeler r9\Upgrade\R8_Binaries\EAL.dll"
4. Then right click the “64 Bit Upgrade.reg” file and do a Merge again.
NOTE1: these instructions assume that you already have the r9 MartUpgrade program installed on your PC. MartUpgrade is an optional component that you must check on to install while installing erwin DM r9. If you have CA ERwin DM r9 already installed but not the MartUpgrade, you may add the MartUpgrade to your PC by going into the Windows Control Panel | Add or Remove programs, press Next, Change, Modify, and on the Custom Setup window choose to add MartUpgrade to your PC. Follow the rest of the prompts to complete the addition to your PC.
NOTE2: If you are following step 2 and are unable to merge the “64 Bit Upgrade.reg” file due to the following error,
X Registry Editor
X Cannot import drive:\path\64_Bit_Upgrade.reg: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.
that usually means you lack the privileges to run those commands. The solution is to The solution is to run the same command in Administrator mode. The way to do that is to drag the file 64 Bit Upgrade.reg into the Run command and then Hold Ctrl + Shift and press Enter. That will execute the file in Administrator mode now allowing the merge into the registry to complete successfully.
NOTE3: if you are following step 3 're-register the r8 and r9 EAL component' above and you get the error, "the module was loaded but the call to dllregisterserver failed with error code hex no. 0x8007005", or similar, that means you lack the privileges to run those commands. The solution is to run the same command in Administrator mode. The way to do that is to paste or type the string into the Run or Search box (as usual) and then Hold Ctrl + Shift and press Enter. That will execute the command as Administrator mode now allowing the registration to complete successfully.
NOTE 4: some customers have reported that if they uninstall and reinstall erwin, they must implement the workaround again.
This document includes instructions that may require editing your Registry.
Improper use of the Registry Editor can cause irreversible damage to your system!
If you are not familiar with—and completely comfortable with—the use of the Registry Editor,
please seek assistance from your local IT support or contact erwin Technical Support for assistance.
- Please contact CA Technical Support at http://erwin.com/support
- Article ID: 3964 what are some unexpected challenges I may need to prepare for when I use MartUpgrade to upgrade to r9 mart version?
- Article ID: 3865 How to Upgrade to erwin r9.5 Mart Server from prior versions (assumes the user already has a r9.0, r9.1, or r9.2 mart server and wants to upgrade that to a later version mart server).