The Academic Edition edition of erwin Data Modeler has limited functionality and is intended as an educational tool to help students learn basic data modeling. The academic edition has the following limitations:
- Diagramming is limited to 25 entities
- The license key is limited to one user for one year.
- APIs and other advanced functionality is disabled
- Complete Compare Resolve differences feature is disabled.
- Report Designer is limited to running reports within the report designer but does not allow for exports to text, excel, or PDF.
- Use of the MITI Import/Export bridge is disabled.
- Unable to connect to a model mart (separate erwin product which is a repository that stores data models).
- Limited to the following target databases for new model creation, forward engineering, and reverse engineering.
To obtain an Academic Edition, go to https://erwin.com/education/, click on the
"Get the erwin Data Modeler Academic Edition" and complete the application.