NOTE: This applies to ERwin Data Modeler Versions 8.0 and 8.1 ONLY !
Installing CA ERwin Data Modeler requires administrative privileges, so it is sometimes necessary for ERwin to be installed by an administrator whose logon id is different from that of the ERwin user. Since CA ERwin Data Modeler r8.0 and r8.1 are installed per user on a specific machine, many user-specific files-including the ERwin r8 license-will have been installed for the administrator rather than for the actual ERwin user.
When the ERwin user attempts to launch ERwin, they will see an error similar to the following:
A license file for CA ERwin DM could not be located on your machine. The application will shut down. If you think this is in error, please contact Technical Support to help solve your licensing problems and reference the following error code. Error code: 7/-1
If you need a license, you can download a Community Edition license from the CA Web site.
That can be easily corrected by having the administrator copy the user-specific files from administrator's user folder to that of the ERwin user immediately after completing the installation.
The ERwin r8 license is installed under the local application data folder for the user that installed ERwin. If ERwin r8 was installed by an administrator (or anyone other than the ERwin user), ERwin's user-specific data (including the license) must be copied from the installer's personal folder to that of the ERwin user.
- The following assumes the IDs for the installer and ERwin user are "AdminUser" and " ERwinUser" respectively
- Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is enabled
- The user who installed the application must make sure they can launch CA ERwin Data Modeler prior to attempting to configure the application for the ERwin user
- The user performing these steps must have full administrative privileges
- Logon as the administrator (or any account that has full access to Application Data folders for the installer and the ERwin user).
- Locate the installer's user-specific non-roaming application data folder.
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data
This normally resolves to:
C:\Documents and Settings\ AdminUser \Local Settings\Application Data\
This normally resolves to:
C:\Users\ AdminUser \AppData\Local\
- Check that the following folder is present:
...\CA\ERwin Data Modeler\8\
- Locate the ERwin user' non-roaming application data folder.
C:\Documents and Settings\ ERwinUser \Local Settings\Application Data\
C:\Users\ ERwinUser \AppData\Local\
- Copy the folder "...\CA" (and all files and subfolders) from the installer's folder to the folder for the ERwin User. The following folder (including any license files) should now be present:
C:\Documents and Settings\ ERwinUser \Local Settings\Application Data\CA\ERwin Data Modeler\8
C:\Users\ ERwinUser \AppData\Local\CA\ERwin Data Modeler\8
The ERwin user should now be able to launch CA ERwin Data Modeler r8. If a working license has not yet been obtained, ERwin should open as CA ERwin Data Modeler r8: Community Edition.