My model is too large to send you or it contains confidential data. Is there a way I can quickly... - CA Technologies ERwin Knowledge Base
Article ID: 4202
Last updated: 12 Apr, 2016
Description: My model is too large to send you or it contains confidential data. Is there a way I can quickly extract just the objects I need to send you as a much smaller model?
Here is a technique you can use to create a much smaller model containing just the objects in question and their related objects. Please use these steps to quickly remove from your models the other entities and objects that you do not want to send CA ERwin DM Technical Support or other person:
1. Open your model in question and do a Save As and choose a new name to back it up.
2. Create a brand new subject area.
3. Go into the properties on that new subject area and select the right arrow 'Move all objects to Included objects'. That will move all the entities into the right window.
4. Now, in the right window, select just the table(s) in question and press the left arrow 'Move selected objects and neighboring objects to Available Objects'.
5. Up will come the dialog "Spanning Neighborhood". Check on All ancestors and All Descendants.
6. Click Remove.
7. You are left with all the objects not related to the table in question in the Included Objects window. Press Close.
8. Now edit the diagram for that new subject area. Choose the Members tab. Check on Automatically populate from Subject Area and press Close. Now the model display is visibly populated with all the objects not related to the table in question.
9. Now do a select all (CTRL-A) and press delete from the model. Answer yes to the question, "The selected objects will be deleted from the diagram. Do you also want them deleted from the model?". You will be left with a model consisting of just the table(s) in question and all its related objects.
Please remove from the model anything else that does not prevent replicating the problem. Now you can safely send CA ERwin DM L1 Support that non-confidential smaller model because you are just sending that table and its ancestor and descendant tables, nothing more. Another thing that can be done is to also rename your objects to different names.